The Boston Phoenix dug into the 1980s underground rock and is flogging the following as “the 10 albums that generated the right conditions for the rock that would follow”.
“They were a handful of inspired mavericks who created the raw materials for an alternative future.
The setting for all this was the 1980s, a decade in which the demographic fragmentation following the punk rebellion took hold, leaving a great cultural and commercial chasm between the underground and just about everything else.”
1. Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation
2. Dinosaur Jr – You’re Living All Over Me
3. Husker Du – Zen Arcade
4. The Jesus & Mary Chain – Psychocandy
5. Joy Divison – Closer
6. Minutemen – Double Nickels On The Dime
7. Pixies – Surfer Rosa
8. R.E.M. – Murmur
9. Replacements – Let It Be
10. The Smiths – Meat Is Murder
It’s a long read but informative.